Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 HDRI + animation 
DanielReed

First off, I would just like to say that this is a truely awesome product. I was just looking under the forum at the real world vs plugin.. Wow

Onto the topic however... I wonder if there is any chance you will add HDRI support to your plugin in future. From 3DS max, I can render out HDRI images, and from this I would be able to get much more accurate bokeh I suspect, without the need for enhancement. For example, if I had several coloured bright points, this would turn out much better I think.

Also, I get the impression some animation control is coming in the next release. Will there be some sort of bezier curve controls that could control focal point, amount of DOF etc?

Lastly.. DOF plugins don't work with motion blur, and I understand why. However, is there any way to make it work 'good enough'? I wonder if I should give a shot at rendering my depth map with motion blur and trying it out, or rendering say 3 times as many frames, then collapsing each lot of 3 frames into 1 somehow, simulating the motion blur process. Or maybe in future, if we were able to suply a normal map or 'something' to indicate the motion of each point, the motion blur could be done by your plugin!

Keen to hear any comments, thanks!

Edit: Should have read the sticky above this topic, but I'm still keen to hear comments!

DanielReed

Also... Thought about implementing something like this? The idea also dawned on me the other day... You clever guys should be able to do it...

http://www.frischluft.com/gallery/lenscare_item.php?k=1

martinvicanek

Daniel, thanks for your post.

Yes, HDRI would probably produce true bookeh without the need for enhancement. Haven't considered it so far, but you have a point there.

DOF PRO v3.0 will indeed feature full slider animation control with keyframing ability and a number of interpolation methods, so you'll be able to configure precisely the change of the focal point or any other parameter throughout the sequence. We hope to be able to release v3.0 in the near future.

For motion blur you would need a velocity vector map in addition to a depth map for each frame. I'm not sure if velocity maps can be easily obtained from common 3d applications. We are willing to look into this as motion blur is top on the feature poll.

Processing iris bitmaps from real cameras with scratches etc. is currently not on our list, but I'll note it as a possible future addition.

Greetings
Martin

DanielReed

Yeah I reckon the iris bitmaps would be very cool.

Think about it... using DOFPro in some hypothetical future release that handles HDRI and motion blur together would be able to deal with true bokeh + true motion blur with the proper highlights. Maybe I'm just a 3D tech geek but that would be really cool!

Reading up about motion vectors. Came across this...

http://www.revisionfx.com/generalfaqsMVFrom3D.htm

Another way to do it would be to (in batch mode) extrapolate motion based on a search in the surrounding areas of subsequent frames. But if you do that, you might as well rename the product to DoEverything Pro Smile

http://www.revisionfx.com/mblurgal.htm